Hey Larry, You are being discussed

General Questions

Hey Larry, You are being discussed

Postby Chris M » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:32 am

Larry,
This is a question I have been thinking about asking you. There is a thread on a rod building site (more like The RodBuilding) that is discussing spiral wrapped rods.
Check it out if you like, I would love to hear your thoughts
http://www.rodbuilding.org/read.php?2,219639
Anyway my question is, have you ever used a spiral wrapped rod? If so obviously you were not impressed, I have never seen you using one on your show.
Let's fish!
Chris
Chris M

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:01 am

Hi Chris,
I was first introduced to, and tried the concept over thirty years ago in the mid 1970's, so it's certainly not new.
Back in the old days when we had higher profile guides, which promote twisting under heavy loads, (especially when compressed into the tip section of the rod) it was easy to come up with a good argument for them in terms of strength, but imo, at this time the benefits are pretty hard to measure.
Good question. Thanks for the post.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Chris M » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:36 pm

Larry,
Thanks for the reply here and on the other board.
What is the Blank-thru off-set handle that you mentioned?
I am getting ready to build my 3rd and 4th rods, it is so much fun.
Chris
Let's fish!
Chris
Chris M

Postby dahlberg » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:42 am

HI C,
The blank thru, off-set handle is what replaced pistol grip and off-set handles that required ferrules for connecting to the rod blank.
Literally every bass rod made nowadays is made that way. The design cut the weight in half and almost doubled the strength of baitcasting rods!
The berkeley lightning rod was the first commercial rod offered with the design. Unfortunately I didn't get a nickel because they stole the idea after one of our potential investors showed it to them I didn't have the means to fight them in court.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Joe C » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:09 am

Hi Larry
I just wanted to let you know that responding to that other forum the way that you did was awsome! Some people have a notion that they know everything and it usually takes someone like you to set them straight.
Thank you.
Joe C

Return to General Questions