More of a Thank you vs. a ???

General Questions

More of a Thank you vs. a ???

Postby paully » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:47 am

Larry,

First of all thank you for what you do and how you "do" your show. I love it. You open a lot of doors that.......well, most people don't realize are there. You shed light on a number of different fishing opportunities and tactics.
With that said...
I watched a show you did a few years back, and you where fishing in Chili or Argentina (don't recall exactly). You where fishing trout in deep water with smaller Rapala baits. I almost want to say you had tried flies as well. No matter. Well, on Jan. 20th of -07, I fished (fly fishing) the Smith River in southern Virginia, and with not a lot of participation from the fish on taking traditional flies, I took some of the same techniques from that show and put them to work. I was WINDY and COLD. I took larger streamer patterns and added a split shot (about a 1/32 oz.) about 18" above the fly to get the baits down in to slow moving deep runs. The set up, combined with a 8'6" 5/6 wt. rod, served up one of my best days on the water in a while. I landed 19 or 20 rainbows, two around 12 to 14" and the rest from 16 to 21". No not Big fish, but above average for the area. Not to mention a great way to start the year.
I have also used a few other "rigs" you have shown on your toothy fish hunts. I have been using them to fish for Bowfin. So far I have caught 18 fish that are within a lb. of the state record, and lost one that my buddy and I guessed would weigh around 30 to 35 lbs. The current world record is just under 22lbs. So guess where I be come spring....

Anyway, again I just wanted to say thank you.

tight lines
Know your limits, but don't limit yourself.
paully

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:40 am

Hi P,
Thanks for the post. I'm glad it worked for you, and hope other viewers realize that most of the techniques I use for all the wierd fish in wierd places were developed on the plain old ordinary bass, pike, muskies, walleyes, cats and trout I grew up with. What's interesting is that my travels have allowed me to see lots of different approaches that have expanding my viewpoint for fishing around home.
It's alot like listening to different music, then applying a classical line to a blues or rock riff. Fishing is jamming and what ever works is what's right!
Never be afraid to try anything, no matter how crazy it seems, as long as it's legal.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby jbird » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:03 am

[quote]It's alot like listening to different music, then applying a classical line to a blues or rock riff. Fishing is jamming and what ever works is what's right!
[/quote]

Larry

I love this...what a perfect way to explain it. I am a flyfisherman and that is the way I prefer to fish. The problem is there are so many purists in the sport that it gets exhausing arguing with them about right and wrong. I am an advocate of innovation and agree with you wholeheartedly. I hope you dont mind if I quote your words while dicussing "ethics" with friends and peers?

Jay
jbird

Postby Seedy » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:24 pm

[quote]
It's alot like listening to different music, then applying a classical line to a blues or rock riff. Fishing is jamming and what ever works is what's right!

L[/quote]

...I we should attribute the above quote to: Larry "Jerry Garcia" Dahlberg :lol: 8)
For those of you who also keep fish at home (and not just in the freezer :) ) come visit Aquatic-Oasis.net the home of the "more serious aquarist".
Seedy

Return to General Questions