Clackin Craw info

General Questions

Clackin Craw info

Postby Wille » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Larry Im a big fan, and I met you at a Fishing Show in lower NY not long ago. I talked to you about the Clacking craw and asked if it would hold up, and you said it would. I turned a few of my Buds on to this lure ,just on the its great looks and videos. I fished it hard this year, the big one, and the smaller size. I just have not boated a bass on it yet. I had a huge smb throw it, and had others on. My question is even though you told me to pull hard make it jump I was wondering if you have any other tips for me. Or any videos with you fishing it ? Thanks for your time your the best !!
Wille

Re: Clackin Craw info

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:19 pm

Not Larry, but thought I'd at least share my experience fishing them.

I've personally noticed that this bait does well when a spinnerbait bite is on. Haven't put my finger on it exactly why that is but it has seemed true from my experience. Typically, it has caught much bigger than average fish for me as well but not the numbers that I might see with more traditional smallmouth lures in my rivers ... tubes and cranks. I try to run it as slow as possible and still make it hump. Areas I target with it are shallow rapids/riffles in less than 3' deep.
Mike - Alumilite

Postby Wille » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:47 am

Thanks for your info. I first wanted to pair it up with the spinnerbait at night ,during the summer. I do well with spinnerbaits and thought the Craw wud be a perfect fit. Does not snag much and its what the spinnerbait is mimicking . Cant find much info from Guys using the Craw ,glad you posted. :P
Wille

Postby dahlberg » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:29 pm

I fish it pretty much like you would a jig, but drag it rather than hop it. Add a short two or three foot pull now and then, especially at the the end of the cast. Before retrieving for the next cast give it a short rip, and two second fall.
In very shallow water, while holding your tip low, a faster wind and stop, drag, stroke, stop,etc. then wind back in is effective.
Admittedly, it's hard to fish it as slow as you should most of the time.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Wille » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:30 am

Great Larry thanks for the info . With the fall water temps dropping I will be throwing the Craw for sure !
Wille

Return to General Questions