What No more Shimano?

General Questions

What No more Shimano?

Postby bassfighter1 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:22 am

Hey Larry U Thinking About Going To Another Brand Rod And Reel? i Can't Beleive It You Are The Ambasseder Of Shimano, Oh Well Ur Show Will Always Be My Favorite I Learn Something New Every Time I Watch
bassfighter1

Re: What No more Shimano?

Postby dahlberg » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:36 am

Hey BF
That's what it looks like. I'm trying some different options. They sure have led the charge in reels, but do have some issues and there are several companies capable of giving them a real run for their money in several categories. Not sure who or if I'll team up with, but I'm looking forward to it.
Thanks for the kind words,
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby thefinnishminnow » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Just curious, since you promoted the tranx and Calcutta d for the last two years, did they ever consult their prostaff in the design of such reels? its very strange there is no clicker on those two considering their application possibilities, which it sounds like you would agree? (not to put words in your mouth,just noticed you mentioned the clicker thing before)

I'm a little surprised how drastic the change from the TE to the D was. especially now that I am in the market for the TE basically for the clicker and ability to put the power handle on it. the D has some cool features, but I never saw anything wrong with the TE enough to stop manufacturing it.

anyway, i dont care about brands, I'll buy the most suitable gear for my techniques and not worry about looking cool or whatever
thefinnishminnow

Postby dahlberg » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:25 am

I like the way you think. I agree, no clicker is really dumb, especially on Tranx which would be a great live bait reel for many different species.
The lack of access to the cast control on the D series was also a mistake in my view.
From what I was told, it was a matter of cost, and not having enough profit.
I also wish I'd not given away so many TE's!
Thanks for the post,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby MNPHATS » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:04 pm

In my humble opinion, it's absolute nonsense. You were integral in their current success. My first serious reel ('93) was a Shimano. My devotion to their quality hadn't wavered. I became a devoted fan of yours in '94, and shortly thereafter moved to MPLS and began working at Thorne's. Long story short, you deserve better. I've conveyed similar sentiments to Shimano. I will reluctantly keep using my reels, because they produce. Know that you're responsible for innumerable memories, including my friends 53x27 Mille Lacs Curado Muskie yesterday.

Either way, you'll keep teaching. And despite the absurdity, you'll impart the most important lesson -- effort, instinct, and knowledge trump brand names. It's about catching, which is what you do best.
MNPHATS

Return to General Questions