Taimen Research

General Questions

Taimen Research

Postby Seabiscuit » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:00 am

Hi Larry-

I'm the Senior Scientist with the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council. One of our scientific advisors (Dr. Olaf Jensen, Rutgers University) has an ongoing research project on the biology of taimen in Mongolia. Next year is the last year of field collection for this project. The research project involves "sampling" taimen (read hook and line capture) and gathering much needed biological information and placing satellite tags on some individuals to learn about their movements and behavior. The sampling occurs in July. I recall an early episode of HFBF where you went to Mongolia and caught a number of large taimen (officially the largest taimen ever weighed was >100kg- that's a "Big Fish"). I think filming a new episode of HFBF next July in conjunction with this scientific research project would make for an outstanding show. Olaf is particularly interested in catching some large specimens, and Larry, you're the man for the job. I'm not sure how far in advance you plan your shows, but I wanted to contact you to see if you would be interested. Please let me know and if you are interested, I can place you in contact with Olaf. BTW, the origins of the project began at the University of Wisconsin under Professor Jim Kitchell who was Olaf's PhD advisor - I believe you are an old badger if I'm not mistaken. I can be reached by phone or email (see below). Thanks!

Best Fishes,
Rich Seagraves (aka Seabiscuit)
Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council
302-674-2331 (EXT. 259)
email: rseagraves@mafmc.org.
Seabiscuit

Re: Taimen Research

Postby dahlberg » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:18 am

Hi R
Send you an email. thanks!
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish