Cabelas' Guidewear vs. Bass Pro Shops vs. Other?

General Questions

Cabelas' Guidewear vs. Bass Pro Shops vs. Other?

Postby Muskyfish1 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:06 pm

Being somewhat in the market for a reliable rain/windproof suit I can't seem to pull the trigger. I currently use an older Cabelas Guidewear suit that is the ol' man's. I think it does its job great and wouldn't need to look further if I could get this in the store. However, with recent models there was no fly on bibs and therefore make going to the bathroom a pain. That is why I didn't purchase a new one in recent years. Now currently their guidewear extreme seems to be much pricier this year. About $600 for the set/ non sale price. That's just outrageous. Unless it drops about $300 I'm not interested. So more expensive and less functional from past years is where im at with the Guidewear. So im interested to hear what users say about the Bass Pro Shop models? Do they compare to the Guidewear? There is also stormr stryker? I believe its all neoprene which I don't think is what i'm looking for. Is there some else out there recommended?
Muskyfish1

Re: Cabelas' Guidewear vs. Bass Pro Shops vs. Other?

Postby aka anglinarcher » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:42 pm

You know, I think rain gear is a lot like fishing boats, we all know what we want, but none of seem to like the other guys boat as much as our own. In that respect, the rain gear you want is really a matter of what you like, not what I like.

Personally, I have found that rain gear I don't have with me is useless, no matter how good it is. Frog Toggs are inexpensive, compress into a small package, look terrible, but they work very well. They are inexpensive enough that I can leave one in the boat, have one in the vehicle, even carry a spare. I find the other gear, no matter the brand, to be bulky enough that I often leave it at home. NOT GOOD.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby dahlberg » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:35 am

good question. the cabela stuff is always a good value for the money. so is LL bean. But, when it comes to actually staying dry you cannot beat the light weight Grunden vinyl type stuff. Not as sexy or expensive as gore tex, but it will stay dry no matter what and not leak in the seams.
L
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Muskyfish1 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:32 am

Yes I forgot to mention I do have a Frog Toggs set as well that's great for summer like conditions, but Im looking for something a little heavier for the cooler 60's to 40's temps and wind proof. Something to wear as an outer layer on the lake even when its not raining.
Muskyfish1

Postby puckfisher » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:06 am

It rains a lot in the Pacific Northwest. Simms products are relied on by myself and guides. Heavier and more expensive than Frog gear but when you need protection all day long you need heavy duty. If you have a friend that guides you might ask him to get you what you need. Guides are given steep discounts by manufacturers. And you didn't hear that from me.
puckfisher

Postby Muskyfish1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:07 pm

I went with the Cabela's tourney trail suit. Bibs and jacket. fished in 30 - 45 degree rainey, sunny, very windy, and night time fishing. I of course layered up on top but was kept well warm and dry and kept the wind out with this suit. Got it on sale for a great deal compared with the high priced alternative Gore-Tex. Glad I purchased this.
Muskyfish1

Return to General Questions