Vacation Question For Larry

General Questions

Vacation Question For Larry

Postby CATCHEMCARO » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:42 pm

Hi Larry
I make custom wooden bass baits, cranks, wake, lipless etc.. and I have been wanting to get some classic Northern Pike video with my baits. I'm in Santa Rosa, California and all I have here are big largies and I have plenty of video tape of them chewing my baits. There are so many resort location all over the US and I'm just not sure which is the best for the following. 1st and formost, I'm looking for a class act that has good dependable boats, good cabins close to the lake and boats. And lots of active Northern Pike and or Muskies. I would also need to know when the best time to go would be. I have the funds and I'm ready to start planning the trip for next year. For years Iv'e watched you catching and releasing some real big girls on reaction baits so I figured you might know of some great locations for a great Pike trip. My baits are made for Largies and stripers, but I know Northerns will chew them forsure.
Any information would be great Larry. Thanks again for all you have done for the fishing comunity.
Rich
CatchemCaro Bait Co.
Custom Hand Made Wake Baits
www.CatchemCaroBaits.com
CATCHEMCARO

Re: Vacation Question For Larry

Postby dahlberg » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:33 am

There are so many good lakes I don't know where to start. wollaston lake lodge in saskatchewan has the best overall facility, staff and equipment of any operation I've yet visited.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby puckfisher » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:45 am

Caro : I love wooden lures old and new. I just like their buoyancy and "feel". Is wood being used much anymore for toothy species ? How does it hold up to pike and wolf fish? Do you have to coat it with something beside paint? I'd like to see your lures and hear how they hold up. Looking forward to your report.
puckfisher

Postby MNPHATS » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:26 pm

Hey Rich -- I'm also a (amateur) lure-maker who splits time between CA, MN, and Baja. The cross-over potential is so much fun, and has been ignored for too long. Muskie fanatics and big-bass guys could learn a ton from each other! The discourse is long overdue.

You might also want to contact Jason Hamernick (http://www.muskiebreath.com/). He's a MN muskie guide, a great resource -- finger on the pulse of where the toothy critters are active, and where/when your particular lures might shine. Best of luck, can't wait to check out your site!
MNPHATS

Return to General Questions