Knot for tippet to leader

General Questions

Knot for tippet to leader

Postby Dan Hanon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:53 am

It seems most people use a surgeon's or blood knot to join tippet to leader. Is there a better knot? I guess I don't have as much confidence in those knots as my others! I've used uni-uni, but I don't know that its any stronger when joining two segments of mono. Any input is appreciated.
Dan Hanon

Re: Knot for tippet to leader

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:04 am

The uni is substantially stronger than any of the other options. Stick with it!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Dan Hanon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:19 pm

Thanks Larry, I'm sticking with the uni! It always seemed so much stronger, but none of my trout friends use it. I couldn't figure it out....
Dan Hanon

Postby puckfisher » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:00 am

The reason most people use a surgeon's knot is for speed. It can be done in the dark also if necessary. I've found that if this knot is going to break it is when you're tying it. Fly fished for decades and broken off fish but never at this junction, always at tippet to fly. That's the weakest link and that's where you'll break off. When I have time to tie up my own leaders,I use blood knot cause they're prettier and I have time.
puckfisher

Postby dahlberg » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Just for the record, according to my knot testing machine, regarding surgeons knot; a triple surgeon is stronger than the two time through standard version, but not as strong as a uni or nail knot.
According to every test I've done, the strongest connection is to use uni or nail knots on everything, including a 4 turn version to the lure itself. as far as pretty, I think the nail knot is sleeker, plus can do a great job at different diameters and materials where the blood knot does not.
with practice the nail/uni can be tied quickly, I wouldn't want to try the joining knot with my eyes closed, but I can tie the terminal version in total darkness also!

best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby puckfisher » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:00 pm

Larry: Watched with interest "Knot Wars" that was on each Sat. for a couple seasons and it seemed that any knot passed through eye twice was stronger any passed through once. (oversimplification, of course) I'm sure triple surgeon is stronger than double surgeon and nail knot even more so. But if that isn't the weak link why worry about it? I'm certainly never going to tie a nail knot when tying a piece of tippet on when I'm crotch deep and the fish are rising. Are you? I prefer a strong and abrasion resistant material when possible (Maxima mono is my choice). I almost always tie some form of loop knot to my fly(again not because it's the strongest). I just feel that details like wetting knot and pulling it tight slowly to minimize heat deserve more attention than tippet to leader connection which never(?) fails anyway. Fair assessment?
puckfisher

Postby dahlberg » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:50 am

I've had the same machine as they use in knot wars for around thirty years and have tested every knot imaginable.
Yes, the two time thru variations are stronger.
I tie the strongest knot I can every time I tie one. Yes, I might tie a double uni or nail when the fish are rising. It only takes me few seconds if I have bi focals! As the expression goes, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby puckfisher » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:24 am

Larry: Great responses and interesting banter. I don't tie the strongest knot possible every time and tried to express my reasoning. As the expression goes KISS. I think your original poster got what he asked for and maybe will read between the lines and do his own thing. Thanks for putting up with me. PS Is it safe to travel to the Seychelles these days?
puckfisher

Postby dahlberg » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:42 am

It's impossible to say what is safe and what is not these days. Biggest risk would be when outside the atolls. I'm avoiding the muslim areas for a while.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions