Fish Lip Grip

General Questions

Fish Lip Grip

Postby Muskyfish1 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:29 am

Not sure if this question has been asked/answered before here, but I need advice on a fish lip gripper...I catch a lot of northern's and they are more than quite squirmish...one has even sent me to the E.R. I want something to better handle these so I can keep my hands clear of teeth and hooks....I was looking at the bogas and cabelas has a plastic gripper for around $15. Bogas are quite expensive. Was wondering what people recommend and also a receommendation between the smaller and larger bogas.

Thanks
Muskyfish1

Re: Fish Lip Grip

Postby dahlberg » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:25 am

I agree those little rascals can be troublesome. First off I'd suggest a fish glove. On fish under around twenty pounds you can get an over hand grip behind the top of their head, just behind the gills and have good control. for example, with your right hand your thumb would be behind the left gill and your fingers on the right side. Apply dominant pressure with your middle finger above the stomach cavity where the fish is firm and you're not squashing it's guts. Always keep your fingers close together. The fishes back should be located directly between your thumb and forefinger. Careful not to squeeze too tight so it slips and you tear the area where the top of the gill plate covers connect to the skull!
The lip grippers really can do some damage. There's a joint dead center in the lower jaw bone that takes all the stress from a boga.
Other plastic or nylon cam type lip grippers are much less expensive and if you're careful and the fish doesn't start flopping out of control, don't usually do damage. Most esox guys use a "jaw spreader" while de-hooking the fish and hold in the manner described.
As fish increase in size, most of us also use a jaw grip which involves your right hand sliding fingers under the right jaw, thumb up and outside the cheeks. Again, best to wear a glove (I use good leather work glove, or aftco fishing glove) and be careful not to let hand slide so far forward to tear tissue where jaw and gills join or to insert fingers in gills rather than around jaw. also support fish to take pressure off lifting by jaw. this is more important IMO than the popular possible myth in regards to support so the stomach doesn't tear.
Hope this helps save a few poked fingers.
I thinks it's a good general resolution to attempt to leave this world with the same number of holes in your body as were in it when you entered.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby MNPHATS » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:30 am

Just wondering if you think leather work gloves (or any glove) removes more slime than a (wet) bare hand? I know gloves/spreaders etc. are essential for beginners hoping to avoid a trip to the E.R., but after handling a few (getting familiar with holding certain-sized pike/muskies by the head in the manner you describe, or by the gill plate without getting raked), it seems like a wet, flexible hand, and a good pair of hook-cutters, is the best way to go, for both angler and fish?

I know it depends on the species, it's size, the angler and bait, net, etc..

Thanks, your faithful rambling insomniac -- Dave
MNPHATS

Postby dahlberg » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:15 am

I think the manner I described is over all the best compromise. The glove enables much better control, and quite honestly I have never in over 50 years catching pike and muskies, seen one with "fish yuk", the white moss-like fungus that usually results from slime removal.
Trout, crappies and bass yes, esox no. That is not to say they may not be vulnerable to it under the right conditions, but I leads me to believe the glove is less harmful to the fish than what might result from a bad grip!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Dan Hanon » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:20 pm

I wear Adidas leather baseball batting gloves when I'm spin casting with large PE line, or I want to hold a large fish. They're great in saltwater, and can be rinsed with freshwater, dried and reconditioned with mink oil or leather conditioner. I've used the same pair on three success trips without wearing through them. Plus, they're easy to find at Dick's Sporting Goods!
Dan Hanon

Postby MNPHATS » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:33 pm

Dan Hanon wrote:
> I wear Adidas leather baseball batting gloves when I'm spin casting with
> large PE line, or I want to hold a large fish. They're great in saltwater,
> and can be rinsed with freshwater, dried and reconditioned with mink oil or
> leather conditioner. I've used the same pair on three success trips
> without wearing through them. Plus, they're easy to find at Dick's
> Sporting Goods!

Absolutely! I've converted old golf gloves (cut off all the fingers except for the index) for surfcasting with braid/big baits -- same idea/result. I've seen some on the market made out of thicker (almost like wetsuit) material, which I find too clunky/insensitive. God bless practical innovation!

Thanks Larry -- as always, great knowledge.
MNPHATS

Postby Muskyfish1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:40 am

Larry & Others...

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like using a leather glove to land these fish is the best route... and much cheaper than a 30# or 60# Boga!!....

Fish on!!!
Muskyfish1

Postby houla » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:10 pm

I have used the that orange plastic "fish Grip" to land many large, toothy lingcod and they're great!
houla

Postby Muskyfish1 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:26 am

I think I'm going to try and go with a Left Handed Lindy Glove. That seems to be quite popular and work well.
Muskyfish1

Postby Muskyfish1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:04 pm

My review of the Lindy Glove is that its awesome!! If you are deciding between a glove or a lip gripper i'd definitely go with the Lindy Glove. Its high strength tear resistant. The first time out with it I had a large 40+ musky and to test it I just went in and grabbed under the gills...carefully, but not nervous of getting toothed or scathed by the gills. It is also a fraction the price of a boga. Must have for musky and northerns.
Muskyfish1

Return to General Questions