Musky fishing Northeast Wisconsin ideas? ..Larry?? others??

General Questions

Musky fishing Northeast Wisconsin ideas? ..Larry?? others??

Postby Muskyfish1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:14 pm

I am planning on a week long trip in the Northeast Wisc area probably in mid-September. I haven't been able to fish a week up there in a few years and was wondering some ideas. I am referring to the boulder junction and phelps area. I typically fish Caldron Falls because it is where our boat is located and it is a much shorter drive. Caldron though is not a week long fishing expenditure. Some lakes off the top of my head I have fished up in phelps and boulder area are oxbow, ballard, wildcat, van vliet (only pulled small northerns), big sand?, and several others I can't think of. I have seen some decent Musky here but nothing 50" and not too many numbers on any previous trips. I was wondering if someone has some hot areas this year or any suggestions.

Thanks,

T
Muskyfish1

Re: Musky fishing Northeast Wisconsin ideas? ..Larry?? other

Postby Gaebler20 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:30 pm

If your boat is in caldron, your very best bet for a true monster would be an hour south in green bay. In the areas youre talking about yourejust limited to the small lakes and none are really better than others. Only place ive fished near there is Rhinelander and its pretty good there. Have seen some 50's come out of there... but yoir best bet is Green Bay. And that is well worth a week long trip...
Gaebler20

Postby jerkbait » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:23 am

Will be in the boulder junction the same time approximately. The lake I would recommend for a first trip up there is High Lake, easy lake to fish and a high concentration of 38-43" fish. Pretty large weedbeds accompanied by dropoffs make this an easy lake to hunt for the skis, this we pulled 6 fish out of there last year around the same time over a two day period.

Will also be at wildcat, big muskellunge and big arb (think that's vilas county though) this year.
jerkbait

Postby Muskyfish1 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:25 am

Thanks!!! Green Bay does sound intriguing, but for my week vacation I'm looking for that Northwoods feel....I might do a three day weekend for Green Bay though. Are there littler lakes in Green Bay you're specifically referring or lake Michigan/Sturgeon Bay??...

I think my plan is to head to Manitowish Chain. I've never fished there, but from what I've read it seems like great fishing. Any reviews?
Muskyfish1

Return to General Questions