lb test with diver frog

General Questions

lb test with diver frog

Postby bronzepike » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:09 pm

hey larry what lb test line do u suggest using with your diver frogs? braid or mono? also im wondering what reel/rod do u use with it. and gear ratio
thanks, chris
bronzepike

Re: lb test with diver frog

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:29 pm

I personally like to get it diving as deep as possible to hopefully stir up some muck so I typically use 14 lb flourocarbon on a baitcast reel. Up here in Michigan we normally don't have to deal with the extremely brutal weed mats otherwise I'd probably go braid.
Mike - Alumilite

Postby bronzepike » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:47 pm

thanks mike, will i be able to toss these effectively on a calcutta 200b?
im thinking of purchasing one for inshore stripers and freshwater bass it would be great if i could use it for both aplications.
bronzepike

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:23 pm

It is not at all fussy as far as the gearing on the reel. You can slide the frog over stuff by keeping your tip up and and cranking at a standard frog speed. You can pop and rest it. You can stroke and swim it like a regular frog and it will run about thirty inches deep. Put your tip deep in the water and you can get it to bump bottom in six feet. After it touches bottom, give it a few shakes to kick up dust, then let it float back to the surface. No need for blazing speed or extra power. I use thirty pound mono or 65 pound power pro and a pretty stout stick and fish it with any reel from a Calcutta 50 to 300 size.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions