Rod-n-Reel Darts

General Questions

Rod-n-Reel Darts

Postby kanaka1000 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:32 am

Mr Larry,

Watched the episode yesterday where you were in Louisiana and at the end the group was enjoying a seafood feast.

What really caught my attention was the dart game using fishing tackle. Now, I've played the pitching game at buckets using spinning gear (I can backlash a roll of toilet paper) but putting sharp pointy objects into a wall, well, that seems to be the ultimate.

Before I go planting a dart in the middle of my forehead because of ignorance, I'd like some information from a player of this game.
Were ya'll using slow action rods? I have a feeling that fast action rods will be a little harder to control.
Braid or mono? What happens if one uses a baitcaster and there's a backlash? Does the dart come back towards the caster like a heat seeking missile?
Will holding the dart in ones hand to load the rod instead of stepping on it be like hitting from the ladies tee box?

Thanks.
kanaka1000

Re: Rod-n-Reel Darts

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:51 am

At this point, there are very few rules regarding the game, which we named called F A R T S. A loose acronym for Fishing Darts.
The best delivery method has so far been an underhanded pitch. A short soft rod seems to be best. Other, more creative efforts were less consistent.
Regarding darts to the body, in this game anything is possible and, at the very least, eye protection is recommended.
I'm working on a magnetic version and some darts made of resin because we destroyed every dart in camp.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby kanaka1000 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:54 pm

Mr Larry,

Thank you for the reply. Guess I'll mount 2 sheets of OSB for the backboard to catch the wild shots and limit the alcohol intake to 6 beers before making the full face helmet mandatory.
kanaka1000

Postby kanaka1000 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:13 pm

And I like the name, too bad you might have to make it politically correct if it goes to market. :roll:
kanaka1000

Return to General Questions