Lure Color

General Questions

Lure Color

Postby cuzzinfish » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:33 pm

Hey Larry,

When choosing lure color for Pike/Musky fishing, I generally have leaned on my bass fishing experience. I have observed, however, people on television and heard through talking to locals that matching lure color to water clarity and forage seems either less important or more a matter of luck. Typing on a large, hot pink lure (for example) in clear water rather smaller, more natural colors seems counterintuitive to me. Give the cost of musky tackle for an average fisherman, like myself, have a found that there are a few, select colors that produce more consistently than others? If so, would you mind sharing? Do you have any other thoughts or tips that might help?

Thanks,
Robert
cuzzinfish

Re: Lure Color

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:31 am

Good question. About the only color musky anglers agree on as a standard is black.
My experience is that color is less important than what the lure actually does. On topwater lures I've been searching for a color they won't bite!
I've seen times when they react to fluorescent colors like chartruese and orange better than any thing else.
Most large predators fit into the match the hatch thing, but also remember they have a role in natural selection that means part of their job includes getting rid of things that don't belong or are out of place.
Personally, I like having a range from "loud to quiet" colors. Chrome, brown"redhorse", black, chart, orange.

best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby cuzzinfish » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanks for the response. That information makes a lot of sense, especially the part about large predators and things that stand out. As a longtime hunter, I can't believe I didn't think about that angle. If you don't mind a follow-up question... With summer approaching and most of the lakes near me containing large areas of heavy vegetation, fishing with exposed hooks can be a real chore. Do you feel that large (10"-12" or longer) eel/worm-like plastics are effective options in that situation? I see it occasionally for finicky pike, not so much for musky.

Thanks again,
Robert
cuzzinfish

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Good question.
If they are in the slop you have to find something you can fish thru it with. Not a great deal of super options for really thick cover. check out mike the goop kings musky offspring on the makelure utube channel.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions