An Article on You?

General Questions

An Article on You?

Postby Jigfishn10 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:59 am

Hey larry,

I wrote my first article for a new fishing site and was asked if I could do another. Now my first article, is just that a first article, nothing special and I'm sure I could use some improvement. My question to you is, can I do a 3-4 paragraph article based on your experience with freshwater fishing, your answer to my question in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18228 was most interesting to me. I was thinking like a Q&A just like that thread and I can post a rough draft here for your approval prior to submission.

No big rush, but I thought it would be fun to do. Your thoughts?
Jigfishn10

Re: An Article on You?

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:03 pm

Thanks for the post, I'm flattered! As far as your article,go for it!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Jigfishn10 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:57 am

That’s great!

Where it’s a 3-4 paragraph article, I think we should try and keep it simple:

Summer Season freshwater fishing:
Now that we’re out of the spawn season for most predator fish we sport fishing anglers target, most fish are going to be moving out of the shallows and back to deeper water, only to return to the shallows for a brief period to feed. There are a lot of us anglers who struggle at the thought of leaving the shallow areas to pursue deeper water fish, where would you start looking for deeper water fish? It appears to me that most predator fish share the same cover/structure tendencies in deep water habitat, would that be a fair statement?

I will also limit my questions as well, maybe 3 more questions after this?

Thanks a million!

John
Jigfishn10

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:16 am

Don't be sad, be glad. When they move deeper they often school by year class and are much closer together. This means a shot at a bunch of big ones, but the down side is they are harder to bump into because they are clustered in a small spot.
First off I suggest you read Buck Perry's spoonplugging and focus on the structure reading business.
Generally I would begin looking for cover adjacent to the area they spawned and the closest deeper water.
Search the edges of the largest shelves and fish areas where cover intersects with the primary break. Focus on areas where the primary break is steepest or where it has lots of points, inside corners or any kind of irregularity or change in bottom content, weed species etc.
Fastest way to cover is super long parallel to breakline casts with cranks. Choose lures that make bottom contact. In addtion check for suspended fish with traps and such. Fish from primary break down to secondary break on choicest spots like inside corners, points , holes in weed edge,etc. with vertical lures like jig, worms, or dropshot type presentation. Look for main lake structures (sunken islands) not connected to shoreline break.
That's a start!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Jigfishn10 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:29 pm

This is certainly turning into a real learning experience for me, Thank you!

I think from the other threads I’ve been reading, I have gathered a lot of information, but there is 1 topic I didn’t see, or may have missed, and that has to do with major/minor feeding times from a solar or moon phase, as well as, a from barometric pressure standpoint:

There have been a lot written over the years about predator fish becoming very active during a low barometric pressure – aka “storm coming” in – versus a high or stable barometric pressure. I’ve tested the theory and got mixed results, although during a high pressure system you would think that more plankton would be pulled off the lake floor and more in the water column providing a food source for bait fish, but again, I got mixed results.

I’ve also tested the theory during the moon phases and got mixed results in freshwater, but better results in saltwater for whatever reason. Before and after a full or new moon, saltwater fishing was better than any other moon phase.

As far fishing around or using a solunar table, I have never tested the theory, but would like to know what your thoughts are? To be honest, as a full time working man and a father of 2 young kids, I just like to get and go fishing whenever I can and leave all the theories behind. Maybe after I’m retired, I can worry about that.

Many Thanks
John
Jigfishn10

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:06 am

hi john
as a guide for 23 years I kept track of the major and minor solunar periods. They were always trumped by weather, and minors seemed to not matter, but when you have a major intersect with sun up or sunset it's usually a very good time to be on the water.
I've had similar experiences as you with the moon. Obviously tides come into play in saltwater.
I personally do well during stable weather, it's just usually a shorter window.
Barometer has always intrigued me. There is a correlation, but if you think about what's actually happening it makes little sense.
If a fish moves a few feet vertically in the water column it will undergo a greater pressure change than if the barometer went from the lowest to the highest in history.
I have a hunch the barometer doesn't directly affect the fish, that it might be something like U/V penetration which can vary greatly with cloud cover. Mile high skys, high baromether equals huge light penetration. Who knows. Just a possibility.
I agree, fish when you can, but it is fun to keep track of any and everything that might matter!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions