tarpon fishing

General Questions

tarpon fishing

Postby Nobdy2u » Sat May 25, 2013 2:31 pm

Larry which location in the world do you feel has the best Tarpon fishing?
Nobdy2u

Re: tarpon fishing

Postby Bill Crain » Sat May 25, 2013 9:38 pm

I AM NOT LARRY. HE HAS BEEN THERE A NUMBER OF TIMES, RIO PARISMINA LODGE COSTA RICA. http://WWW.RIOP.COM
Last edited by Bill Crain on Sun May 26, 2013 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Crain

Postby dahlberg » Sun May 26, 2013 8:06 am

That's a good question. The best tarpon fishing I have personally encountered is in Nicaragua, but there's little or no infrastructure to support it. The Choco region of Colombia also has incredible potential, but again no infrastructure.

Tarpon as you know are extremely migratory. That being said, the best place to be is where the huge horde has gathered.
This might be the keys, boca grande, louisiana, vera cruz, etc.

The other factor to consider is the environment the happen to be using at the various locations they gather.
Some offer "sight fishing" where you can catch them on plugs or fly along ocean flats, some you have almost no chance unless you are using live bait, other times you might find them in a jungle lagoon (my favorite) and others you might have to vertical jig or jump fish rollers outside a river mouth.

I have to agree with Bill, that for consistent tarpon action year round, good equipment and a comfortable place to stay and eat great food you can't beat Parismina for catching Tarpon. Granting it's primarily conventional and either vertical jigging or live baiting, so the method may not be as interesting as other places, but it's about as sure a shot as you can get.

best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Dan Hanon » Sun May 26, 2013 1:09 pm

I contacted Alejandro Linares, and he's agreeable to guide for a tarpon trip in Columbia sometime. Looks like a very rustic trip, but I like that type of adventure. Were there other species there? Any suggestions or tips about this fishery? I saw your HFBF episodes there, and the lagoons looked cool.
Dan Hanon

Return to General Questions