line management etc.

General Questions

line management etc.

Postby Watchhiller » Sun May 19, 2013 7:27 am

Last edited by Watchhiller on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Watchhiller

Re: line management etc.

Postby dahlberg » Sun May 19, 2013 7:42 am

Yes, I have tried stripping baskets. The ones with the vertical fingers work ok, but in the narrow boat while constantly sitting, twisting, turning and standing it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Believe me, when using a popper that weighs almost a half a pound whether the knot is open or not makes no difference.

For a dumbbell popper to work right it needs to be heavily weighted to the rear. It also helps for casting. If you take the lead out of the lure it skips instead of pops most of the time.

The balsa allows holes to be bitten without the lure leaking. Also, the River2Sea dumbell is very inexpensive, has super good hooks and split rigs so they don't have to be changed.

I made some solid ones but didn't end up having to use them. Where the solid plastic offers the biggest advantage is in setting hooks. The cubera can really sink their teeth into wood.

The gliding is achieved by getting the balance buoyancy and the shape right. Don't think in terms of push pull cause that just aint what's happening.
The little wiggle at the end of the glide is a result of having the center of gravity as low as possible.

best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions