Grindstone Lake

General Questions

Grindstone Lake

Postby JD » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:14 pm

Larry, I have a summer cabin on Grindstone Lake In Hayward and was wondering if you have fished this lake for smallies or muskie?? I live in the Kansas City area and every time I go up I end up spending most of my time fixing stuff as it is very old! Any advice on fishing this lake or other areas for smallmouth would be great. I have heard the West Fork of the Chip has nice bass but I have not had a chance to fish there. Also, what are your thoughts on the Musky records?? Even my kids dont buy Louie's stories. I think we should start over!!

PS Do you still have the same camera crew?? I remember them at Great Bear Lake back in July 04 and they were pretty darn funny!!! Have you been back since?? I am thinking about taking my kid's. They would really enjoy the Tree River Char.
JD

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:49 am

Hi JD,
Grindstone is a gem, but clear water and heavy fishing pressure make it tough at times. For several seasons during my InFisherman years we visited Grindstone on the Wisconsin opener.
The fish there set up in all the usual types of places.
Try night fishing during tough times. Don't overlook submerged weed clumps on flats, unrelated to breaklines.
The guys who shot at Great Bear are no longer in the business! Remember when the pilot buzzed the camp in the 727? I still have dust in my ears from that one!
Thanks for the note. I'd suggest Alaska for silver salmon rather than the char in terms of a family trip.
More fish, bigger fish, better strikes, better jumps, easier logistics, better scenery and lower cost!
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions