Lure resistance and size profile

General Questions

Lure resistance and size profile

Postby mark_odegard » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:27 pm

Hey Larry,

So, with the craze these past few years over the double cowgirls for muskies, it's becoming apparent that lures that "move water" are great attractants to fish. Before I get to my main question, I want to ask; why is that? Is it just because they're easier to find for the fish or because they appear larger? Or maybe something else?

Now, this is what I'm really trying to figure out. I've noticed that some big baits tend to pull hard (lots of resistance when reeling, like bucktails), and some big lures don't pull at all (like bulldawgs). Is the resistance you feel an indicator of how much water the bait is moving? Or more specifically, would a big bait that doesn't pull hard, like a bulldawg, still have the same advantage (whatever that advantage may be) of a hard-pulling bait?

Lots of questions here, but I'm working on designing a few baits, so I wanted to keep these variables in mind!

Mark
mark_odegard

Re: Lure resistance and size profile

Postby dahlberg » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:49 pm

Lures that pull hard can create low frequency sounds not audible to you and I. A very large profile certainly get noticed, and may very well prove to be a trigger on some occasions. If you have not read Doug Hannon's work on lure qualities, triggering versus attracting, I would suggest doing so. He does a great job of breaking down variables.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby mark_odegard » Wed May 01, 2013 4:01 pm

Any chance you know what the title of the book is? I did some quick googling and saw that he wrote a few books, but I wasn't sure which one it might've been.

Mark
mark_odegard

Postby dahlberg » Wed May 01, 2013 4:40 pm

Big Bass Magic.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions