Rain Gear Pointers

General Questions

Rain Gear Pointers

Postby RhettWheeler » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:17 am

Hey guys,

looking to invest in some decent rain gear at a decent price point. Can anyone lead me in the right direction on brands? Not looking for anything super heavy, just rain protection for undesirable conditions.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: Rain Gear Pointers

Postby PikeFishman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:20 am

If it were me there would be 3 choices, in no particular order. Keep in mind these are the top of the line suits:
-Cabelas Guidewear: approx. $500 for the set (multiple models)
-Simms (very expensive): approx. $800-900 for the set
-Frabill Stormsuit: approx. $400-500 for the set
PikeFishman

Postby puckfisher » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:00 am

Dear Rhett: Nobody's responded, so I'll chime in. In a sentence, buy the best you can afford. I've owned the cheap stuff and it doesn't break the wind and it sweats among other shortcomings. When you really need it, you really need it. I've found Patagonia products from top to bottom to be a great company both in quality and returns years later on should the rare need arrive. They ain't cheap but the company is on the cutting edge of materials, design, pockets and other features. I used to buy Simms but they're policicies on returned waders has soured me on their product line. Hope this helps. Puckfisher
puckfisher

Postby miket55 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:25 pm

Try "Frogg Toggs" as a cheaper alternative.. I needed to replace an aging rain suit on a trip last fall, and was pleased with the way they repelled rain, sleet, and snow!
miket55

Postby Seachaser » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:27 pm

Get the Columbia rain jacket on sale for about 50-60 bucks. Cuts wind and rain better than the Frogg Toggs.
Seachaser

Return to General Questions