Swimbait Rod Advice

General Questions

Swimbait Rod Advice

Postby PikeFishman » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:47 pm

Larry - I am hoping you can provide your expert opinion on a purchase I am going to make soon.

I will be making a trip down south to fish for some Wipers in June. We typically troll or cast 5" swimbaits paired with different size heads. I am looking to buy a new Spinning rod to cast swimbaits up to 3/4oz (occasionally 1oz). Do you have any recommendations for a rod? My dads friend uses a budget friendly Berkeley Amp (7' Medium) which works great, but I would like to find something a little bit nicer that can pull dual purpose walleye/bass fishing. I'm not looking to spend anything over $100. I have been doing a lot of research and have found a couple rods I like so far that meet my criteria (7' or longer):
-St. Croix Mojo Bass - 7' MH
-Shimano Convergence - 7'2" MH

The St. Croix rod is rated up to 3/4oz lure while the Shimano is rated up to 5/8oz. Would I be setting myself up for failure by throwing 3/4oz lead on the Shimano? I like hte idea of saving $40 and I also like the feel of it better. Are there any other rods I should be looking at? My plan is to buy the rod this weekend as my favorite sporting goods store (Thorne Bros) has a big sale going on. Any advice is much appreciated.
PikeFishman

Re: Swimbait Rod Advice

Postby dahlberg » Sun May 19, 2013 8:46 am

Sorry so late in responding. I'm sure either stick would work great. The suggested lure weights listed on rods are just that..suggested.
In most cases the range a rod will handle is significantly greater than what's indicated on the rod.
good luck
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions