Travel rod for Tranx

General Questions

Travel rod for Tranx

Postby Charlie Tuna » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:08 pm

Do you have any travel rod recommendations for the tranx? I will mostly fish poppers to medium size saltwater fish like dorado ( mahi mahi).
Charlie Tuna

Re: Travel rod for Tranx

Postby dahlberg » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:14 pm

actually, that's a tough one. A good possibility is the detachable handle (like the trevala jigging rods) version of shimano's musky rod.
People thought they were telescoping flippin sticks and in the stores ended pounding the rods so far into the handle it was almost impossible to unstick them, so they were not popular with retailers. the eight footer broke down to a little under six feet if I recall.
The problem is finding anything stiff enough other than heavy action musky stick I referred to. There are some telescopic musky rods that are worth looking into also.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bob Daly » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:23 am

Have had no problem using heavy 6ft 6in 2 piece rods at La Zona equipped with the TranX. As some might be aware, many of the airlines will not even allow the longer rod tubes to be bbrought along on as checked baggage :evil: . So either travel rods or 2 piece rods will have to be taken with.
Good luck, doradokiller 8)
Bob Daly

Postby MNPHATS » Fri May 10, 2013 8:22 am

Yeah, totally depends on airline/destination, species targeted, and how much you're willing to spend on baggage fee's. There's a lot of homework involved, but I think it's well worth the time/cost.
There are plenty of one-piece rods under 7', and airlines which accept them, to handle Mahi, tuna, billfish, stripers, tarpon, etc..
MNPHATS

Return to General Questions