Weedless Soft Plastic for Musky

General Questions

Weedless Soft Plastic for Musky

Postby Daredevler » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi Larry:
We like to fish a darkwater flowage for Musky that has a lot of stumps and laydowns. If you try to use a lure like a BullDawg, you're probably not going to get it back to the boat most of the time. Do you make or know of a Musky-sized weedless soft plastic bait that could be worked slowly down in the wood on a lake like this?
Thanks...
Daredevler

Re: Weedless Soft Plastic for Musky

Postby dahlberg » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Check out Mike's "offspring" on the makelure utube channel!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:36 pm

I'd highly recommend making a lure like the offspring ... hardest part is finding the right hooks. Patrick Sebile's biggest Swimbait Rig widegap hook is a good option if you need to go weedless. These Title Shot hooks http://www.jigfish.com/cgi/commerce.cgi ... on&key=MSO - I just found at the Michigan Muskie Shop after our seminar Friday night would be great for rigging the offspring in heavy wood without getting snagged. They are a 15/0 hook and come in multiple weights that can be positioned anywhere up and down the hook shank to make it sink flat or dive nose first. They also come in a jig form in a multitude of weights. I designed the offspring and the split tail grub specifically for the conditions you mention. You can almost bet that fish in that area have never seen a lure before.

Good luck and let us what you come up with.
Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Postby detroitmuskie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:22 pm

Great idea on the Offspring. Another option is to use a 10-14" Hogy lure. They use them for Saltwater Tarpon, Stripers, Snook and Cobia. They have several weedless options and many jigs/hooks to choose from. I've found myself really liking these Hogy baits.
detroitmuskie

Return to General Questions