fish safety

General Questions

fish safety

Postby puckfisher » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:46 am

Dear Larry, Headed to Minnesota this June to fish for a variety of species. Checked out DNR website for info to help make decisions. Lots of info including warnings on almost every body of water regading fish consumption. Do you think this is overstated and just information to put in our backpockets or is this a disturbing nationwide trend and catch and release should be promoted for this reason? The Columbia River is just north of me with huge walleyes and I won't eat a resident fish from there. I love my shore lunches, though. Puckfisher
puckfisher

Re: fish safety

Postby dahlberg » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:32 pm

I think if you focus on young fish, like just legal walleyes or small pike you will be fine from most bodies of water in most of low populated areas of minnesota!
But, don't take it from me, I'm not a water quality expert.
I totally avoid fish from any rivers where paper mills have been discharged.
Enjoy your shore lunch!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Watchhiller » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:05 am

Last edited by Watchhiller on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watchhiller

Postby puckfisher » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:08 am

watchiller: You're spot on but the snowball's going downhill. Went to the grocery store the other day for some shrimp. They were from Thailand . The scallops were from China. Are you kidding me? What 's in their seafood , chunks of rotten pig? The good news is that the US will be energy sufficient in no time because of all the natural gas we can now extract by fracking. You know that harmless procedure where millions of gallons of "clean" water are pumped in the ground to release the gas. Ever see what else is in the "water"? If the fish in Minnesota are questionable what do you think about Illinois or Mississippi? puckfisher
puckfisher

Return to General Questions