Peacock Bass Fishing

General Questions

Peacock Bass Fishing

Postby Tydwater » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:18 pm

Larry, Where would you suggest I go to catch some big Peacocks? My sons and I would like to plan a trip. Also, what time of year would be the best for any places you might suggest. Thanks in advance......

Butch Fisher
Washington, DC
Tydwater

Re: Peacock Bass Fishing

Postby Dan Hanon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:48 am

Tydwater,

I'm a peacock bass addict, so I couldn't resist responding. The largest peacock bass live in northern Brazil and southern Venezuela and Columbia. The Venezuelan Amazon is legally off-limits to Americans, but Columbia offers some good options. The best place for "first timers" is the Rio Negro basin (Black River) in the Brazilian Amazon, and there are several excellent operations there. It is also a safe, friendly place and the Brazilian people are very nice.

The season runs from early September through February, which corresponds to the dry season. Fishing typically begins in the southern Amazon along the Madeira River basin and progresses northward during the season. The middle and Upper Rio Negro in Brazil can offer very good fishing, and the last two IGFA World Record peacocks were caught there. This fishery is very dependent on water levels because too much rain causes the rivers to flood the shoreline forest and the fish disperse into the trees and vegetation. Lately, October and November have been "prime times", but December and January can be good too. I just returned from a trip this January and the fishing was superb with good, low water levels.

There are many good outfitters and different kinds of boats and floating camps to choose from. Personally, I use Kalua Barco Hotel because they are a well-run Brazilian Boat and the boat can navigate into shallower waters than the huge yacht-types. You can check them out at Kaluapesca.com.br and intrepid-angling.com.
Dan Hanon

Postby puckfisher » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:30 pm

Tydwater: How old are your boys? Howmany are in your party? What is their skill level? Fly or gear fishermen? Most operators have their clients fly into Manaus and then they greet them at the airport and go from there. If you are going as hard core fishermen, I would suggest looking into River Plate Anglers. They are the outfit with "floating cabins" that tow you upstream each day in "exclusive" waters that Luis Brown has negotiated with indian tribes for access. Their rates are competitive and you will not see another group fishing"your " waters. They can access very shallow waters and you will fish new waters every day. Guides and food I would rate very good overall. You WILL FISH TWO TO A BOAT WITH A GUIDE AND GUIDES ARE USUALLY ROTATED DURING THE WEEK. Gear and flyfishing. The Agua Boa is a fly fishing only lodge built overlooking the Agua Boa River and is first class. The numbers of fish are excelllent as are guides, accomodations and food. It lacks the monsters (over 20 lbers.) but I highly recommend it. I do not like the big floating hotels that go out of Barcelos towing 8 to 12 boats behind them. I have found that you often have to travel great distances up or down the Rio Negro to get away from fishing pressure. The food and accomodations on these rigs are usually quite satisfactory, just not for me. Whoever you book with, ask them if they have a high water policy. Believe me, you don't want to go when the rivers are running high and muddy. Most reputable outfits will now call and change dates when conditions go sour. I have taken my boys on these trips and if your timing is right you will make memories that exceed your imagination. Just do it! Puckfisher
puckfisher

Postby Tydwater » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:46 am

Dan and Puckfisher....Thanks for all the great information. I have 3 grown sons and we have been fishing together forever. We do most of our fishing for stripers on the Chesapeake Bay as we have a summer house there. The big stripers will be heading up the Bay to spawn soon so it is a busy time here. We hope to go after some Peacocks in the near future and your "heads-up" info. is just what we needed. Thanks again and good fishing to you both.
Tydwater

Return to General Questions