200SS Wide Glide

General Questions

200SS Wide Glide

Postby detroitmuskie » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:22 am

Larry,

I'll be chasing Tarpon in a month. Are the split rings and hooks on the wide glide strong enough to fight adult Tarpon? Fish in the 100#-160# range....last time we had success using 8" crank baits and WTD gliders. If not, what do you reccommend for swapping out rings and hooks

Thanks!

Scott
detroitmuskie

Re: 200SS Wide Glide

Postby Dan Hanon » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:58 pm

Yes, the standard hardware is strong and plenty adequate, just cut the rear hook tail feathers off. Personally, I use Wolverine triple coil split rings in size 7 and an Owner ST-66 3-0 at the front and a 2/0 at the tail. I think it comes standard with Owner ST-66's.
Dan Hanon

Postby dahlberg » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:00 pm

If you pull hard enough and one barb is in the fish you could straighten the hooks on the small wide glide, although I've caught lots of 100# plus tarpon on it. It has the strongest hooks and split rings available in their respective sizes. You might be able to go up a size on the subsurface version if you think you need a little xtra strength, but I'd wait until I had a problem.
If you are using the large one, no issues. Tuna weighing in excess of a quarter ton have been landed on it with the standard hardware.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby detroitmuskie » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks Larry and everyone else! I'll be deep in the Everglades for 3 days chasing big Tarpon. I'll let you know how it works out. I was pretty sure they would be strong enough but I'm a Muskie guy and this will be my 2nd time chasing Tarpon in Glades. Totally addicting way to fish for them and last time we hooked 6 in a day. It has me not even thinking about my beloved Muskie as I've been bitten with the Tarpon bug!!
detroitmuskie

Postby dahlberg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:05 am

hmm. you said hooked. did any stay buttoned up?
And yes, I agree, tarpon can change you. And, said the spider to the fly, there are several other species that have similar effects!

couple tips from a recovering tarpon junkie since mid 1970's:
Bow to the king with lures. But, with circle hooks, flip him over on his back when he's in the air. It's when he's got the least traction!
When they scream, don't try to stop them. Get over or better yet over and slightly in front of them when they get stubborn. If you can flip em over, belly up a time or two when you first get them to they boat they usually go tap out.
have fun!!

When the fish are "laid up", sometime the surface version small wide glide is more effective. we used to crush them on the old creek chub darter by casting about six to ten feet in front of a laid up sleeper, then a pop pop stop and go swim would light em up. 9 out of 10 or more got off but..
Depending on the fish, any retrieve you have ever used from stop and go with pauses for large mouth to what ever might work for anything, but usually very slow and rhythmic at an angle so it's swimming at an angle with rather than toward the fish gets the most bites.

L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby detroitmuskie » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:01 am

Yup, I was with a great guide and personally lost 3. We lost all 6 after several short runs and jumps. I'm a tarpon virgin and this will be my second time in the glades fishing for them. We had luck last time on 8" baits retrieved very lazy and steady in 5ft of water or less. My concern is I can't get the trebles into them very deep with how hard their mouths are.

Should I set hook ASAP or wait a sec and then jam them hard? Thanks for the advice!! I really want to get one! We're pretty much using same gear as Muskie. 8' rod, 80# braid, TE, 80# fluoro leader and 8" Muskie baits...fish were all over them!!
detroitmuskie

Postby detroitmuskie » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:13 am

It also was very important to bring baits in across the current seams to get any eaters. They also would thump, follow or miss a lot of the day. I don't fly fish and this trip is all casting artificial baits. Should I try different hooks? Smaller? Bigger? We were actually using Basla Big Game Muskie baits, couple saltwater plugs I'm not familiar with and WTD lures. I feel your wide glide worked really slow with that hang time will work perfectly! Being a Muskie angler I was stunned at the amount of fish 100# or bigger we hooked, miss, followed and saw rolling in just one day! Simply amazing!!
detroitmuskie

Postby dahlberg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:57 pm

I'd stay with stock hooks and use 130 mono for a leader with an open loop knot.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby detroitmuskie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:39 pm

Thanks Larry! I'll be sure to let you know how it goes and hopefully a picture of a wide glide in a Tarpon's mouth. What about hook sets using 6-8" plugs or glides with treble hooks? Set hook right away? Pause and then set? What works best for adult Tarpon when using these type of baits?
detroitmuskie

Postby dahlberg » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:34 am

If you see the bite, wait until they turn or you feel it. Be ready for the lure to come flying back when they jump. Have fun! Good luck
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions