Adventure planning help needed

General Questions

Adventure planning help needed

Postby rrw » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:29 pm

Larry, I am interested in going to South America to pursure some of the great fish species you've caught. I met Steve Yatomi at a sportsman show recently and he is promoting a rustic trip to Guyana where you've got a shot at giant catfish, wolffish, payara, medium sized peacocks, and arapaimas. it sounds like a real assortment of great fish!
First, is this going to be as good as Suriname or close? Second, is Adventure Travel Alliance the best way to go to book an exotic trip like this?
thanks,
Rich
360-219-7111
rrw

Re: Adventure planning help needed

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:05 am

Personally, I would not suggest Guyana. Lots, and lots of reasons. Regarding Mr Yatomi, I can't really say. I used to work with him, and was in fact a 50-50 partner of his on paper, but he sort of dropped off the map and doesn't even answer phone calls or my emails. I should've been suspicious when he wouldn't send me any financial or business records!
The "prime" environments for these different species varies a great deal so you don't end up with excellent anything. The only species I'd personally consider going there for is the Arapaima, and there are better and easier places for them than Guyana.
You can book Suriname directly if you wish.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bob Daly » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:03 am

I have booked numerous trips to La Zona through Yatomi and have never had a problem.
doradokiller! 8)
Bob Daly

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:05 am

Hi Bob,
Do you really think the trip to La Zona qualifies as adventure travel? BTW, I turned steve on to La Zona in the first place!
My question to you; Have I ever steered you wrong?
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bob Daly » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:08 am

HI Larry: Agree, La Zona is definately not an adventure trip such as heading into the Amazon or jungles of Papua New Guuinea. I booked all of those trips on my own so I can only recommend Yatomi on what I have booked through him.
Also please keep us posted if you find a accessible place for taimen.
Thanks Bob 8)
Bob Daly

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:14 am

Will do with the Taimen. Still doing some searching. I'm looking for true gorillas. Appears to be two different strains, one that appears it might be anadromous that has a body shape more like an atlantic salmon than a coho.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bob Daly » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:20 am

Thanks Larry: Forgot to mention in my previous post that Larry has given me priceless advice on my recent trip to Papua New Guinea which made the trip a huge success. Also got great advice on Tanzania Tigerfish. He has always taken the time to talk fishing with my friends and I at the Chicago Musky Show and always gives advice on questions submitted on this post.
Thanks much!!
Bob Daly

Postby rrw » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:32 am

Well that was quick! Thanks for all that info. I guess I didn't realize you offered a travel agengy-type service. Suriname sounds great. Send me the details or a link to such.
thanks,
rich
rrw

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:27 am

I've emailed my pals to get a number or email for you. I'll post it here when I have it. I don't have a travel agency of any kind, but I've traveled and fished extensively and am happy to share both the good and the bad regarding places to fish.
And, since I don't have any financial obligations to any of the places, you can count on an honest evaluation!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:29 pm

You can contact Martin Beems, the guy who runs the Keyser Wolf fish camp and whose dad has the lease, directly at:
martin@traverco.com
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby rrw » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:05 pm

Thanks a bunch Larry.
rrw

Postby Dan Hanon » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:48 pm

Rich,

As a neophyte travel/adventure angler, I've learned to become friends with like-minded anglers with extensive travel experience. Guys like Larry and Bob Daly are tremendous resources for trip planning and they know a lot of people! They don't have a financial motivation connected to their recommendations.

Regarding advertised trips by fishing agents, Caveat Emptor! There are a lot of poor/mediocre trips out there, and I've heard horror stories about flooding rivers, "hired" indians kicking anglers off "their territory", shoddy boats/equipment and crummy local guides. So, hang out with the anglers "in the know" and you'll be golden. I generally walk in the footsteps of other anglers, so I know what to expect when I get there. It helps to keep your expectations reasonable. Often, reality is far different than what's depicted in a brochure handed out at the regional fishing expo.

Have a great time in Suriname, I can't wait for the trip report! :P
Dan Hanon

Postby puckfisher » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:52 pm

rrw: Planning an adventure by doing thorough research is as much fun as the trip. If you haven't done South America and are looking for jungle action, a good place to start is the Amazon basin out of Manaus, Brazil for Peacock Bass. I have been there many times and for sheer action, it can't be beat. There are many outfitters and adventures vary from tame and pampered to wild and crazy. Larry Larsen has a newsletter I would recommend and I'm sure he could answer all your questions. He has caught more peacocks than anyone I've heard of and visited virtually every open river in the region. The number one factor to consider is the impact of water levels on fishing success. Even in heavily fished areas(try to avoid them-talk to Larry), fishing can be incredible when the water is in the rivers and not in the jungle. Many outfitters now have a "high water" policy and will call to cancel and rebook you later in the season or next year. Listen to them and purchase trip insurance. Go prepared and be flexible with your techniques and willingness to try for different species. The Amazon jungle will amaze you with its beauty and diversity of wildlife. Puckfisher
puckfisher

Postby blu1fin » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:46 am

Having just gotten back from fishing Guyana last week, I'd have to say that it offers plenty of good fishing. And while environmental conditions are rarely ideal for a vast array of species in one location, my fishing partner and I were able to catch and release large catfish, wolffish, arapaima, payara, butterfly peacock bass and parahna, in less than a weeks time, on a river that was totally new to us. We learned a bunch in the process and increased our knowledge base in the process. I have a number of the photos posted on my Facebook page of Steven Ryan, for those interested in the general size of the fish.

As with any adventure travel, you can expect issues to arise on most any trip and Guyana is no different. Larry and his show can attest to those difficulties. As Bob Daly mentioned, I am also one of those people who research and book most of my trips directly. It adds to the challenge and the reward of doing these trips. There are certainly benefits and costs to booking a trip through an agent. However, for a first timer to South America or any third world country, the personal service of an agent may well be worth the cost.
blu1fin

Postby dahlberg » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:28 pm

Hi B

Thanks for the post, I am glad it worked out! The most satisfying element in angling is the process of discovery.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions