panama popper show

General Questions

panama popper show

Postby puckfisher » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:42 pm

Dear Larry: I just loved the latest show. You screw up your thumb, rip open your hernia and although you didn't show it, barfed up some black goop. That bad ass marlin kicked your butt, too and you manned up and admitted it. Now that's reality tv. My question is why? I've caught marlin(not that big) and it's like hauling up a giant anvil. I'd much rather skate up a 15 lb. steelie, toss poppers for fat smallmouths or rip bait patterns over lit up dorado. Just getting too old? Puckfisher
puckfisher

Re: panama popper show

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:18 am

The thumb thing was nothing. I've got lots of skin and a high pain threshold.

Re-tearing a high hernia is no laughing matter. It renders you almost helpless. Since the hernia, which happened back in the mid 90's, I've totally revamped my "stand-up" gear (making it much lower on my body) so it involves a different set of muscles. If I'd had my own gear I think I'd have been fine. As it was, I got the fish to the boat and could have wired it before I passed the rod to poor Andrew who was on it for almost two hours!

By your comment, it's obvious you don't have much experience with these species. Every marlin is different. Plus, there's a huge difference between blacks and blues.

Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his moccasins. I could still do an iron cross on the rings when I was 45 years old. I'm 63 now, and although suffering a few fishing injuries, I don't think you'd want to mess with me.

Glad you enjoyed the show!

best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby puckfisher » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:48 pm

Larry, I apologize but you misinterpreted my blog. I,as many of your fans I'm sure, love your show for its wildness and candor. Just like when you went to Nicuragua and contracted dysentery, this misadventure helps me decide whether this is something I want to try. I was not poking fun at your age or fitness, but mine! It's just a personal choice but cranking in a bluefin tuna or monster shark or grouper off the bottom just doesn't appeal to me and would figuratively and possibly literally kill me. When we see you struggle for hours and get physically injured, a message has been delivered.I get it that your show is a hunt for big fish, I just want to have fun in new ,relatively safe surroundings. Your show never disappoints. PUckfisher
puckfisher

Postby Seachaser » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:23 pm

Larry, did you have surgery? I had a lower hernia surgery years ago and I can not think of anything that was harder to recover from. Best wishes!
Seachaser

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:33 am

My hernia is just under my sternum. The docs all told me fixing it was pretty invasive and I'd likely be better off leaving it alone and just being really careful. Got it in the mid nineties and it's been pretty tame until I tweaked it just right in Panama.

I agree with Puck in regards to fish that fight like tuna, grouper and amberjack. I much prefer fish that have a propensity to leap out of the water! I also still enjoy fishing smallmouth. In fact in my non working fishing it's what I do most often!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions