River Fishing Musky?

General Questions

River Fishing Musky?

Postby Wadefisher » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Larry I was wondering in your opinion what lures would be best for river musky and what kind of structure or places would you find them? I am fairly new to musky fishing. I live in Tennessee and like fishing the local rivers here especially the Nolichucky River. Thanks in advance for any tips. I am bound and determined to make this the year I catch my first musky.
Wadefisher

Re: River Fishing Musky?

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:40 am

First select the section of the river with the least vertical drop per mile.
Then divide those sections into pools, basins or runs based on their depth.
During the majority of the season, the fish are dispersed and using each of these areas and taking advantage of the unique cover and structure of each.
During fall there is a strong possibility they may move significant distances to "wintering" ares, which may be large deeper holes or even a lake-like wide spread in the river channel or actual reservoir.
The fish will move and reposition as water level changes. They are usually in the best cover immediately adjacent to where the best schools of desirable food gathers. could be a long outside bend woodfall bank, or could be a rocky washout hole. I like areas at either end of long slow stretches where either vertical drop or depth changes significantly.
They love wood. They love tributaries, especially cooler ones when the main stem begins to warm.
Small rivers to medium, fish the outside bends, especially top and bottom ends of cuts and pound the heaviest, deepest, longest or most significant wood, especially with current on it.
Giant rivers, inside bends more significant.
Always have to check weeds. Look for them where current eddies out, but in many river they can exist is strong current. Downstream "canopy" is key. fish parallel to edges. also over the tops and thru them.
Cast upstream angle, retrieve lure down stream. Make super accurate casts, tight tight to steep banks and wood. repeat casts in best places.
Learn to use a sub surface wideglide.dart in out and under big logs, trees, let it hang on the zig. vary cadence and glide.
fish early am and sunset on flats, riffles, heaviest shallow cover adjacent to basins where you know muskies live. Make super long casts with whopper plopper or surface zig zag, again casting at upstream angles, downstream retrieve.
let me know how you do.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: River Fishing Musky?

Postby Wadefisher » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Thank you Larry and I will let you know how I do!
Wadefisher

Return to General Questions