Shimano spinning reels

General Questions

Shimano spinning reels

Postby whiteymalone » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:37 pm

Does anyone know why Shimano decided to stop using aluminum frames on the Sahara, Symetre, and Saros? The flex I feel in graphite framed reels drives me nuts.
whiteymalone

Re: Shimano spinning reels

Postby Bantam1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:55 am

Have you fished the new models? They are actually more rigid than the previous Aluminum models. These were just changed this year.
Bantam1

Postby whiteymalone » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:15 pm

I have now. There is no comparison. At least 4x more flex in the graphite frames. The new Sahara has a nicer one piece bail, but the sloppy graphite frame ruins it. Definitely not a change for the good.
whiteymalone

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:00 pm

Did you know that pound for pound graphite is stronger then steel, much stronger the aluminum. Did you know that used correctly it is so strong that Boing is using it in their newest aircraft? Did you know that it is so strong that all militaries around the world are using it on their top end aircraft? Did you know that you can actually use it as a riffle barrel if you use a thin chrome liner?

Part of my screen name is my other addiction, archery. Did you know that aluminum arrows are seldom used now because graphite is so much better, that few actually want the aluminum arrows today? Did you know that the most expensive compound bows have replaced their aluminum risers (handles) with graphite because it can be made stiffer and lighter???????

I have not used the new Shimano reels; mine date 2012 or older. Because of this I cannot judge for myself, but I do know enough to wait until I fish with them to judge the reels. I also know enough to know how easy it is to fool the mind.

If you do not know the engineering principles required to make a stiff frame, and if you have been told by competitors that graphite frames are more flexible, and if you don't understand that a lighter reel with a different center of gravity will feel different , perhaps even fool you a bit, then how do you judge that a frame is more flexible, sloppy, especially 4x more? :?:

My experience is that most people that claim something is "at least 4x" more anything are boasting about their own special skills. So, just how do YOU judge that reel flex? How did you determine that?

Just wondering, just wondering.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby thefinnishminnow » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:08 pm

agreed with aka, I honestly cannot believe you feel a difference in flex. there are other reasons in other material use applications to sometimes consider using aluminum over graphite, but graphite can be an awesome material for a lot of reel components. cant use it everywhere, but some places.

I dont necessarily want it either, by the way, since if their main goal is cutting down on weight, that has really never been a concern of mine, especially if it is going to cost a lot more, which i cant confirm or deny cause i havent and wont be buying a new spinning reel for a long time most likely.

there is probably a mental block for some to consider a non metallic substance having better qualities than metallic substances in certain structural applications.
thefinnishminnow

Postby whiteymalone » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:32 pm

The flex I'm referring to is in the stem between the reel foot and body of the reel. Grab the reel body and flex it up and down the graphite moves way more than the aluminum. I've been a huge Shimano fan for many years, I really like their products. This isn't just my opinion. I sell reels as part of my job. I have access to compare models head to head. Every customer that has handled the reels side by side said the new models flex more.
whiteymalone

Postby aka anglinarcher » Wed May 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Funny, I checked a couple out at the local sporting show, I still don't see it. Are you so sure that you don't work for another reel company> :lol:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to General Questions