Episode 5, aired on 2/2

General Questions

Episode 5, aired on 2/2

Postby Ingenue_56 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:44 am

Hi Larry,

I am a female angler from Miami and was watching your show with my father yesterday. Unfortunately when we tuned in, it had already begun but we where curious to know what location that episode was filmed. The episode consisted of you fishing with a good friend of your onboard a charter searching for marlin but kept landing dolphin. I believe on the second day you caught an amazing bull dolphin but no marlin. Then the third day you where invited on a new boat, if I recall his name was Robert Browning, and then with them every fish-on was a marlin.

The thing is that I want to take my father on a fishing trip in South America but don't know which is the best place, Costa Rica, Venezuela. etc.?? Thank you for your time, love the show!
Ingenue_56

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:41 am

Hi I,
I was at tropic star lodge in panama during the episode you are referring to.
Regarding the best place, all of the countries you mention, and those bordering each other on the pacific coast share, more or less, the same fish. It's a matter of timing.
For sheer numbers of sailfish you cannot beat guatemala. for black marlin panama is likely your best bet.
costa rica is better developed than either of the other two, and offers several very good places to catch billfish and tuna.(also has tarpon on the atlantic side)
for striped marlin of unreal numbers at times, the Galapagos is unequalled.
Depending on your dad's age, nimbleness and fishing preferences there are other options which offer greater "involvement with the process" and more encounters per day.
have fun!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Thanks!

Postby Ingenue_56 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:09 am

Thanks for the response! That really helps. My father will be turning 60 this year but I swear that I, being 26, can barely keep up with him! LOL. We do all the billfish tournaments here in Miami together since I was a kid. We are out almost every other weekend in a small 25 foot restored Anacapri, so I don'y worry about his nimbleness on the seas. Thanks you once again for your time! Have an excellent Sunday!

T.
Ingenue_56

Thoughts & Kudos

Postby Halcyon » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:32 am

Hi Larry,

Well, the new fishing shows have hit the air full force and I have to say that your approach IMHO has more honesty and integrity that all the rest of them put together. You target big fish, show the other smaller game fish thereabouts and very importantly show great respect for those around you that is most admirable. Your role in promoting fish conservation is enormous.

I've been fishin' all my life and the true hype around fishin' is the beauty of these great creatures and showing off how grand they are. Doing it with respect and putting things in perspective is not easy, so keep up the great work. I don't have the kind of stories you have because population pressure continues to encroach here on Monterey Bay but I do have a little luck occasionally. The structure is starting to show on the beaches and the winter weather is breaking after about 6 weeks of steady rains so my hopes run high as always for a special take in the suds.

On another note, I often wonder why conventional gear isn't used more often in place of spinning gear for light tackle fishing. I know, what's easier than spinning? But conventional equipment has improved so much in recent years with the advent of easily tuned centrifugal and Mag casting controls that it just more fun to fish that way cause yo have so much better touch with with the line. Fixed reels have there place of course. It's how I learned to fish as a kid but over the years fix spool fishing has become a last resort and I use it only when extremely light terminal tackle has to thrown a good distance -- even then I'd rather use a little round conventional if I can get away with it. We all have our preferences of course and it was grand to see you playing with the trevally and bonefish on the Indian Ocean atoll, That Sailfish on light spinning gear was about as fun as it gets, no? My hat is of to you guys for boating that baby. The spinning tackle worked beyond expectations and that is a good thing. I'd love to see a fish like that conquered a fly reel or a centerpin which has to be manual palmed like it was done when both you and I were very small but I doubt we'll ever see any old school gear on shows sponsored by modern tackle manufacturers. Having said that it occurs to me as possible idea for a show, that is tackling the same species and showing how gear has evolved over the years. It could be done with centerpin reels and evolving up to modern fly reels, spinning reels, and of course conventional reels. Rods would also have to play there major part as they always do.

I feel compelled to share here that the big egos and false bravado on most of the other fishing shows just kills the joy and good fortune of having a real fishing experience. Often I feel surrounded by a huge mass of self centered idiots. Spare me the chest pounding. A gracious smile and thanks to the hands on board is more like it, which is why I have great respect for your approach and the no nonsense way you display your abilities.

I'll be watchin', so ~

Good Fishin' but Better Catchin', Rich
Halcyon

Return to General Questions