getting spooled

General Questions

getting spooled

Postby ty » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:09 pm

Hello Larry I no with all your experience of catching small to very large fish but was it every a time that you got spooled. When and where? Was it light tackle or the heavy stuff? Is there any thing you could of done to stop that from happening. If so please share your experience just in case I get into that situation. I'm just curious, I guess in a situation like that sometimes there is nothing anybody can do I guess. thanks
ty

Postby jbird » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:32 pm

Ty

I'm sure Larry will have a great story for you. My advise for you if you get spooled....ENJOY IT! :D

J
jbird

Postby dahlberg » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:18 am

Hi Ty,
I can remember getting spooled three times.
Once wade fishing for a huge giant trevally, for which I was totally undergunned, that simply outran me.
Another was on double hook-up while fishing for striped marlin with a calcutta 400 (the other guy had a tld 30) and the captain couldn't get the boat turned to chase fast enough.
THe third was at night in west africa and I hooked a tarpon that bolted out through nasty surf we didn't dare try to navigate even during day time.
Any other time, I pull hard enough to break them off rather than get spooled! IT's amazing how hard you can pull with lots of line out!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions