becoming a guide

General Questions

becoming a guide

Postby carpo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:01 am

Hi Larry, I have recently scored a parttime job in a local fly shop. I told my boss that ive always been interested in guiding. He told me he'd help me get licenced, and get me set up to work out of his shop. I was wondering if you could give me a few helpful suggestions to become a succesful fishing guide? Correct me if im wrong, but i thought i read somewhere that you were a guide? Did you enjoy it, or at least find it rewarding? just curious, seems like a cool job....Thanx again ....Carpo.
carpo

Postby dahlberg » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:39 am

Hi C,
Yup, I was a guide for 23 years. Back when I was doing it, it was a pretty tough run financially, (and you've got to find something to do in winter if you live in MN) but it sure kept me in touch with what the fish were doing!
Time on the water is a valuable thing if you keep your eyes open!

The main thing I think, is to have a far better than average understanding of the natural world you are guiding in, and be able to share and reveal it in as much detai as you can to those who fish with you. Guide them, teach them, share the joy of experiencing fish.
Same goes with the mechanics, tactics and strategies necessary to be successful.
Good luck, and be glad you've got such an understanding boss.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:47 am

Some notes from a customer of guides:

I especially appreciate a guide knowledgeable of the natural history and human history of the place. It's great to learn about a place from somebody knowledgeable. Pointing out interesting bird species, conservation issues, local taxation conditions, etc are all worth hearing about from a guide. It's also great to learn at least one new fishing technique when fishing with a guide for the first time.

The actual fish are only a part of it. Guides are special people, and I have always found it to be real value for the money.

Fishing with good guides can become addictive. Because of all the good things I learn from guides, I now look forward to fishing with a guide. It's a real treat. I used to think of fishing with a guide as just a way to learn enough about a new place so I could go out and fish it myself, but today I find value in fishing with a guide for its own sake. It's never a waste of time or money.

Maybe I'm lucky but the guides I've fished and hunted with have all been well educated, intelligent, and articulate people. I consider them true professionals. It's worth the effort to find people like that. It's a good association.

Some of that mojo has fortunately rubbed off on me. When taking my wife or kids fishing, or somebody new, I really try to find out what they enjoy so I can help make a good day happen for them.

That trick applies to guides also. I've found that if I'm clear about what I would like to get out of the trip, and then say I'm flexible and willing to try something else if the conditions aren't favorable, the guides are usually all too eager to help me meet my goal.
Questor

Return to General Questions