tiagra

General Questions

tiagra

Postby ty » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:04 am

Hello Larry I just brought a tiagra 50a like you be using and I wanted to load it up with 130lbs sufix mono. Can you tell me roughly how many yards you think I can fit on this reel? Reason being is I'm doing some party boat tuna fishing on the west and east coast. I've heard that when fighting a tuna for a long period of time, the hole gets bigger so using 130lbs I figure I could possibly get them in faster I hope. Please help me out on and what should you think I do. thank you. P.S I can't use braid on the east but I can on the west coast and I have another tiagra with braid for that. thank you
ty

Postby dahlberg » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:29 am

Hi TY,
There's no doubt you can land 'em quicker on 130#, but first you've gotta get them to bite it!
I think you'll find bites easier to get with lighter line for a number of reasons. I wouldn't go heavier than 80# mono.
Use a good owner hook with the ring on it and just be careful not to throw any slack when you're stroking them!
I'm not sure exactly of the capacity when using line heavier than 50, but if you take the % difference in actual line diameter of what you're spooling on compared to the dia of 50# and apply it to the total it holds of 50 you'll be very close.
Good luck!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions