greatest?

General Questions

greatest?

Postby carpo » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:34 pm

hi larry i was wondering (without upseting anyone) who do you consider the 3 greatest anglers of all time? any catagory ...thanx again ...Carpo
carpo

Postby steelneal » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:52 am

Hemingway,Virgil ward andMy old man
steelneal

Postby Questor » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:34 pm

I have to add Lefty Kreh to any list of top anglers. He has done a great job of promoting sport fishing, and educating anglers through his writing. He is one of those rare versatile experts with a gift for communication and an apparent true love of all things fishing.

Ralph Delph is way up there too, but for his expertise and innovation as a guide.

I couldn't keep the list to three. There are different people who play in different dimensions and many have been great.
Questor

Postby Joe C » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:49 am

Larry Dahlberg, Hemingway, and Capt. Ahab
Joe C

Postby steelneal » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:07 am

Larry of course is the reigning king. i mentioned three greats other than Larry The King
Joe C i like your Ahab choice.very good indeed!
Zane Grey was cool but i heard he was an assh*#@ to fish with.
But what the hey i like reading about Lee Wulff. He was an adventurer!
steelneal

Postby Joe C » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:40 pm

Zane Grey would have been my fourth choice; and yes when it comes to
fly fishing you can't forget about Lefty or Flip.
Joe C

Postby steelneal » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:22 pm

if we include living fisherman then i got to put in Al and Ron Lindner and Dick Sternburg as great freshwater guys
steelneal

Postby greyghost » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:20 pm

Guys
I must disagree with the inclusion of Capt. Ahab among the list of the three greatest anglers of all time. If memory serves me correctly Capt. Ahab botched the gaff job on Moby big time, got wrapped up in the leader and the big one swam off with your top three angler of all time Capt. Ahab attached to his side, never to be seen again. Roland Martin could have done better than that for heavens sake and sold us some Frogg Toggs and some of that smelly stuff to put on your lure at the same time.
I wish Larry would get back.

Greyghost
greyghost

Postby steelneal » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:13 am

Ha Haaaaa Frog Togs ! You are so right! i love Roland, but his show is one long commercial some times! And don't don't forget the sun block.....apply frequently throughout the day
steelneal

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:44 am

Hmmm, that's a tough question.
My criteria would primarily involve what an individual has actually added to the body of knowlege.
In saltwater I'd have to include Zane Grey. Not just for his probing new water but for his contributions toward development of big game tackle.
Also capt Farnsworth for his invention of kite fishing.

I'd also have to include Buck Perry because his contribution set the stage and built the foundation the Lindners and dozens of other capitalized on.

I'd also have to include Stan Sloan who invented the spinnerbait and arrived at the idea of using black lights for night fishing.

best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions