swim bait reel

General Questions

swim bait reel

Postby BassDaddy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:15 pm

Larry
I don't know how much experience you have throwing large swim baits for LM bass, but I'm sure you will have an opinion on my question due to you experience with peacocks. I currently use Calcutta 401 TE's to throw my larger swim baits (3 to 5 0zs.)...baits such as Huddleston Deluxes and the larger Osprey baits. Since I crank left handed my choices are somewhat limited. Do you have any suggestions for another reel that will handle the challenges of larger swim baits and double-digit bass? I own a couple of the Calcutta TE's, but I'd really like to avoid putting up another $350.00 each and I'd like to a couple more set-ups.
Thank you for your time.

PS...I almost forgot...what is your preferred knot for attching FC leaders to braid main line?
BassDaddy

Postby Redlinerobert » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:20 pm

Try the Curado 300 - great reel!
Robert
Redlinerobert

Postby BassDaddy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:26 am

If I could get a Curado 301...as in left handed crank...I'd be all over it.
BassDaddy

Postby Redlinerobert » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:40 pm

Check the Shimano website- the 300 lefty is now available. :)
Robert
Redlinerobert

Appreciation

Postby BassDaddy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:00 am

Redliner'
Thank you for the heads-up!

Larry...I no longer need info on the reel, but I am still curious about the answer to the knot question. Thanks.
BassDaddy

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:04 am

Believe it or not, I started throwing musky lures on non-free spool levelwind reels when I was six years old. Did it at least for a few hours almost every day from the time I was nine years old until in my mid-thirties. Yes, I have more than a little experience throwing large lures.
THe calcutta 300 and 400 are both great, as is the Curado 300dsv.
If bass grew to twice the size of the current world record this reel would handle them no problem.
A better question, and after 10 or 15 years of chucking giant lures you will ask it, is "how do I keep my body from falling apart after casting and working huge lures?"
THe answer is, stretch your forearm muscles religiously and use a Balancer on the butt of your rod, especially if using a rod in excess of 6'.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions