how do i beef up a balsa lure ?

General Questions

how do i beef up a balsa lure ?

Postby steelneal » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:09 pm

Larry,
i am currently making a big balsa crankbait for Muskys and was hoping you could give some advice on how to make it more durable.
It's just like a Bagleys DB08 but twice as long, just doubled the proportions.I was considering coating the unfinished body in 2 part epoxy but it still seems wimpy. Any kind of finish or coatings that could make it more than a one fish lure?
Thanks Steel Neal

ps-i got it thru wired with 1/16" stainless wire, custom Lexan bill, Wolverine split rings. It's beefy just need some armor plating!
steelneal

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:56 pm

Guys I know used to drill or cut a pretty good sized hole or slot for the wire and fill it with super strong epoxy. Sometime poured lead was used to anchor the belly hook.
don't hurt yourself with those monster lures. Dropping one on your foot could rouine your ability to swim...
good luck!
L sela
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby steelneal » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:11 pm

Larry,
thanks for the response,
Actually i got the hardware beefed up, all epoxied and what not .i was more worried about a fish puncturing the finish and the lure swelling up and the paint coming off like i have experienced with Bagley's db 08 and 06's. i was hoping you knew of a secret paint or tooth proof coating.

You're the King,
Steel Neal
steelneal

Postby dahlberg » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:32 am

A fairly heavy coat of epoxy (sugg several coats, can sand between coats, almost any water proof epoxy that's "hard" enough will work)
It'll do wonders for durability, but it substantially changes the bouyancy of the lure. Give it a try. Might ruin the action, might make it better!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby steelneal » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:48 am

Thanks again Larry i'll try it.
You're the King
Steel Neal
steelneal

Postby Questor » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:25 pm

The best method I've found was to replace them with plastic lures that work just as well.
Questor

Return to General Questions