Snelling Circle Hooks

General Questions

Snelling Circle Hooks

Postby Dan Hanon » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Larry,

Saw your recent show in French Guiana tarpon fishing with Cesar. What method of snelling did you use? I've used the Uni, Double Uni and "standard snell" where you create a loop and wrap it arong the hook after the initial pass through the eye. Anyway, I'll primarily be fishing for river flatheads with 80 lb Power Pro and bridle rigged sunfish or small bullhead. I haven't used flouro or mono leaders for them, I don't see any advantage to that. Your recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Hanon

Re: Snelling Circle Hooks

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:30 pm

hi dan
I use a standard snell, which is pretty much a nail knot tied over the shank. The key thing is to have the line pass thru the top and out the bottom of the hook eye. The bottom side being the side the hook point is on.
I like to use a length of hard mono because it help with abrasion if you get to see-sawing on logs or rocks.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Dan Hanon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:26 pm

Thanks, I saw you tightening that snell knot with your teeth and I figured I was missing something! Just don't tell the dentist :P
Dan Hanon

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:44 pm

Actually, I'm trying to convince my dentist to install my latest invention. It's called "The Fisherman's Tooth". It's a set of opposing tooth caps that will allow the angler to bite through anything up to 600# stainless cable. You install them at the beginning of the season with a removable thermoplastic cement.
Just gotta be really careful not to bite your tongue when eating Jack Links Jerky.
Mike Tyson already has his order in.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby longdrive » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:23 am

I actually asked my dentist if he could do something like that when he got on me for my chipped teeth, he told me to go get some clippers. No clippers and my teeth are a lot shorter now
longdrive

Postby Dan Hanon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:59 pm

I'll be fishing for catfish in Brazil this year, and I'm making leaders with crimped 49-Strand (175#), and some with Malin hard stainless steel (180#) with haywire twist. Using Owner Super Mutu circle hooks, 10/0 and 11/0.

Is there an indication or advantage to snelling the hook with wire? I understand the advantage of a straighter line of pull when using mono, but I'm not sure about snelling the wire leaders.

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Hanon

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:21 pm

hi dan
you can snell the 49 strand (which is what I would use exclusively) but better loop the single strand.
The advantage of snelling is that it helps insure the hook will catch the corner.
Good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions