Bionic lures

General Questions

Bionic lures

Postby mpridgen803 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:33 pm

Hello Larry,
Apologize in advance if this question has been asked, but what do you think about those bionic fishing lures that i I beleive you cast out and they actually move in place without doing anything.
mpridgen803

Re: Bionic lures

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:13 pm

Seems a little bit gimmicky, but heck, who knows? My motto is always "let the fish decide!"
Hope you have a great summer!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:42 pm

I have been thinking on this for some time.

I know that a couple of companies have lures that shake or vibrate when wet, and if we had that in a Cicada pattern or Adult Stoneflies out here in the Utah/Wyoming area it would work well.

I know of a couple that make sounds when they get wet, so .......

But, lets talk durability as well. There was a company that made fishing lures that lighted when wet. The Steelhead fishermen in Washington, Oregon, and Northern Idaho loved them to death, and hated them with a passion. They would buy 3, return two that did not work. The company went out of business.

I think it also sounds gimicky, at least with the technology of our day. The idea of a lure that functions on battery power will always dictate that the best seals and best mechanics be used, and that is not going to happen in mass production for the cost of lures we have.

I have one of those vibrating topwater lures, or did. I still have the lure, but it stopped working the first trip. :cry:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:52 am

I agree it's a very interesting subject. no doubt, with the batteries available today it is certainly possible to easily make lighted lures that would last a very long time. Same with vibrating etc. another aspect is creating an electrical field like a live creature does in the water. Paddle fish can detect the electrical impulses from plankton. hard to say whether or not other fish, especially predators, have any abilities or sensors in that capacity but i wold not discount it.
especially fish like muskies and cuda which seem to get lure smart so quickly.
stay safe, have a great fourth! always good to hear from you!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions