Dividing rods with ferrules

General Questions

Dividing rods with ferrules

Postby aka anglinarcher » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:15 am

Larry,
What do you think about dividing long production rods by adding a ferrule. I was thinking that if you added it closer to the butt section it would firm up the but, keep the tip action, shorten 8+ foot rods into something more packable, generally making it more useable. :?:

I now work at a place where I see customers struggling to get two piece rods. So many of the best rods are going one piece, but the majority of the public want 2 piece. Unless you are talking about fly rods, then the manufactures are all going 4 piece. Our two piece mid to high fly rods in two piece just went on clearance, with the equivalent 4 piece going up in price.

I just can't figure out what is driving this. If long multi piece rods are bad, then why is it good for fly rods?????? :?: :shock:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Re: Dividing rods with ferrules

Postby dahlberg » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:11 am

Multi sections offer no advantage other than being easy to transport. I prefer "staggered" ferrules in most two piece rods, i.e., placing ferrule in lower third of blank.
It is hard to answer what drives ignorance. Personally I am more concerned with how the rod performs while I am fishing than I am in how long the storage tube is while I am riding in the airplane and my rod is in the baggage compartment....
In regards to installing ferrules, it's not easy to create one that's anywhere near as good and the engineered connections done at the factory.

best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions