Circle Hooks revisited please

General Questions

Circle Hooks revisited please

Postby aka anglinarcher » Wed May 23, 2018 5:39 pm

Larry,

I have a crazy question, but first some background. While fishing shallow to deep (from shore casting out), I was fishing for some catfish with cut bait. I allowed a free line so they could take it; when they started to move off I just tightened up and reeled in. Results, with Mustad Demon non-offset circles (3x heavy, 2/0 and 4/0), was perfect corner of the mouth hooksets.

A later trip I fished deep to shallow, using the same circle hooks, same bait, same to slightly larger fish (+/- 27" channels), same method. Results, deep gut hooks, and none were in the mouth.

I have never had a non-offset circle hook in the guts before, well maybe a few times, but not every time. The only thing I can think of is that because the fish were in skinny water (less then 2'), and they moved toward me when they took the bait, they had it much deeper than normal. Still, I always thought that circles were designed to pull free of the stomach.

Is it my technique, my choice of hooks, the hook size, or......?
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Re: Circle Hooks revisited please

Postby dahlberg » Mon May 28, 2018 5:47 am

That one is a stumper! I have no idea other than the second batch of fish might have been a whole lot more competitive with one another, or just plain more hungry. Very odd indeed!
sorry, might have to get ahold of Jeremy Wade on this one!!
Hope you had a great Memorial Day weekend!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon May 28, 2018 9:10 pm

Jeremy who. LOL

I remember his show as well, and did not find it as educational as yours in any way. You would not be considering a "come back" would you. :mrgreen:

The fish were hot, but I don't think competitive. The carp were completing a spawn in the reeds and phragmites, in shallow water. The big cats were slurping up carp eggs. I waded outside the green stuff and casted back into the pockets like I was bass fishing, using big chunks of cut bait. That is a pattern I will not forget next year. :idea:

I got some larger circle hooks to try, so I have 2/0 through 6/0 now. I have found it is very difficult to locate in-line circle hooks in the rocky mountains. But, ........ it did not seem to help last time. LOL

At least those cats made great meals.
aka anglinarcher

Postby dahlberg » Wed May 30, 2018 5:08 am

Interesting interplay of critters, that's for sure! Be interesting to see what happens next time!
thanks for sharing,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby aka anglinarcher » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:16 am

Hi Larry, just a little update and a request for your opinion on my theory.

I had unexpected company last time. My Brother and his two son-in-laws came down unexpectedly so I had multiple lines to rig up. They don't have the same experience level so it is always a test to fill in the missing data, but here goes.

I went up to a 6/0 in-line circle and proceeded to hook one so deep I think I could have removed it from the anal vent easier. The fish picked up the bait and moved latterly to the right, so I had contact with the fish almost immediately. It should have been a classic circle hook take.

One of the young men was rigged up with a 1/0 Eagle Claw circle hook, and I question that circle hook is a true name for them. Still, with the much smaller hook, he got his first ever cat, a 26", right where you want it. He broke off two others, but on one big one I was trying to get a net on in the weeds, I could see the hook right where it is supposed to be.

I changed over to a smaller Mustad 1/0, off-set but I took pliers to bend it in line on this batch of hooks, and took two up to 29" right where you want them.

So, with this one short test, it seems that a smaller circle hook was a better choice, even if it appeared like it was so tightly wedged on the cartilage of the mouth that it almost did not fit and the lighter Eagle Claw hooks actually broke removing them. Theory, to a point, smaller circle hooks are better.

Does this make sense? What size of circle hooks do you use and how did you determine the size of hook to use. I will admit, I choose the hook size based on the bait I was using. I was tossing chunks of cut bait that would make a meal for a small family. LOL Still, I could skin hook them as I did on the smaller hook.
aka anglinarcher

Return to General Questions